For Laughter. For Encouragement. For Inspiration.

For Laughter. For Encouragement. For Inspiration.

20 March 2014

Letter Writing...A Lost Art Revisited

I stumbled upon a letter my older sister had written to me when she was a junior in college and I was still in high school.  I thought about how sweet it was for her to take time out of whatever she was doing as a college student and sit and write to her baby sister, who she obviously was thinking of.

I loved the cream and carmel brown coloring of the aged envelope.  I loved seeing her calligraphy handwriting which we so often teased her about. I even loved seeing the dated stamp on the envelope, which had history of its own.

And then I realized how this age of computers has taken away some of the little personable delights letter writing gave.  You know...things like running to the mailbox to see if a letter had come.  The delight I remember feeling when I opened a Christmas or birthday card that was addressed to JUST ME as a little girl, and how proud I was to be opening my own letter (as I was one of MANY girls in my family).  Even smelling the faint scent of the person who sent the card or letter, which somehow seemed to linger between the consonants, vowels, and syllables.

So, I've decided to throw nostalgia to the wind, break the rules of PC and begin letter writing again. Yeah, I'm a rebel.

But, this time I'm going to add a twist.  I'm going to write to the future.

Yep, you read correctly--THE FUTURE.

Not to flip the switch to morbidity, but life is short.  No one knows when the air we're breathing is the last breath we'll take. And, I want to beat death in my own way. I mean other than spiritual everlasting life, death is defeated by the mortality of the written word, right?

So, I have determined that I will right a letter to each of my sons to be opened at pivotal stages of their lives...well, the ages that were pivotal for me anyway.  Ages 10, 13, 16, 18, 21, 25, 30 seem like good ages.  That's seven letters each. And, as I have two boys that's 14 letters.

Wow! Can I really pass along wisdom, instill courage, praise, prayers, and encouragement in only seven letters? I hope so.  I'm going to try.

Hey!  Let's make it a movement!  I think I'll ask my parents to write me a letter for when I reach their age.  That would be so wonderful to read when they've passed on.  Don't you think?

Who could you write a letter to today?  Just a quick little note of inspiration, encouragement, or love in your own handwriting? A tangible token of love.

That's a good catch phrase...Tangible Token of Love.  TTL...I've got 14 to write.  I'd better get started. :)

No comments: