For Laughter. For Encouragement. For Inspiration.

For Laughter. For Encouragement. For Inspiration.

29 September 2010

On being a writer...

tryin' to find an agent. yes, i'm about to enter THAT world. been thinkin' about what makes a writer. is it the ability to say something well, to say for others what they wish they could say, or is it just the ability to say well what others wished they would have thought to say?

i consider myself a writer, but i've been pondering how i reached that conclusion. i've had a few articles published in my church's former magazine, and have written some great papers in college and grad school. but, do those things make me a writer? obviously i think so. :)

i've been a writer all my life really. i remember the joy i felt upon receiving my first diary at nine yrs. old. it had a lock and everything! i still keep one, but of course since i am now a grown-up, it is a "journal." but, i think the POWER of the written word (sayin' something AND sayin' it well) became apparent to me when i was getting a post-bac teaching certification in english when i was 24, and a racist english teacher accused me of not writing a paper because the "diction and syntax were too good" (yeah, she really said that to me). she really made me realize just how well i could write. so well, in fact, that it would appear i didn't even write it. :)

so, i'll include you on my journey of getting published. i have so many books in my head just waiting to be birthed that are sooo tired of gestating in the crevices of my mind.

first stop, picture books. yeah, picture books. my sons are my muse and my reason why. stay tuned...

No comments: