For Laughter. For Encouragement. For Inspiration.

For Laughter. For Encouragement. For Inspiration.

18 July 2011

Perfection Through Pain

I had a Homer Simpson moment the other day.  You know, the one where you go, "D'OH!!!"  While washing the dishes, I reached across the stove to pick up a pot to wash while the tea kettle was whistling.  Now, I knew the tea kettle was on.  I saw it, and I heard it, but my mind was somewhere else.  As soon as I realized what I was doing, the steam from the tea kettle got me!  And, boy did it ever! 
After screaming, I noticed the burn.  It was a perfect circle.  I was amazed that although I did not touch the mouth of the spout, the steam burn was in the exact shape of the mouth of the spout...a perfect circle! 

I then thought about the purpose of pain.  I thought about how we as Christians believe we should not experience pain because we are followers of Christ or that somehow God has forsaken us because of our suffering.  Where does that belief originate, I wonder?
Jesus tells us in John 16:33 we will have trouble in this world, and that he tells us about it so we will take heart and know in him we can have peace because he's overcome the world! 

I cannot think of any person in the Bible who did not first go through the fire of pain to reach the salve of holiness.  Heb. 10:14 states, "...because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy." You are being made holy my friend.  You were created in the image of God, but your trials are conforming you into the character of God.  The perfect, persevering character of a holy God. 

You are not only fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14), but you are perfect.  Yes, perfect in Christ (so you can't use the excuse of not being perfect anymore :)  ).  And that perfection came by way of the ultimate pain--death on a cross.

So rejoice if this is a trying season for you!  It is temporary. And, don't throw away your confidence of faith.  It will be richly rewarded. (2 Cor. 10:35) God is making us holy.  Plus, "just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows" (2 Cor. 1:5). We will suffer as Christ did, yet our comfort will overflow through Him.   CLING to Him, my friend!  We WILL suffer, yet in the midst of our suffering (or pain), we have "o-ver-flowing" comfort through Christ. Isn't that encouraging?  I know it is for me.

I pray that you see your pain or suffering this week as a stepping stone to holiness!  Be encouraged salt!  I'm praying for you.

No comments: